Wednesday, August 25, 2010

8-Bit Dreams

I received my MSSIAH synth and sequencer cartridge today from 8-Bit Ventures. It got here a lot faster than I thought which forced me to scramble around looking for all the right cables, i.e. MIDI, RCA, etc, to splice this into my home music studio. I made a few decisions on things:

I will compose all my 8-bit music on the Commodore 64 using MSSIAH and then save it to tape via the good old Commodore Datasette. I chose to go the tape route because the 1541 disk drive is huge and requires another power plug. The datasette is smaller (my desk space is limited) and gets it's power from the serial connector. Plus, I get the VERY old school feel of saving data to tape.

I need a 1351 Commodore mouse. I've had very little luck getting one on eBay, so the search will continue. The MSSIAH software utilizes the mouse heavily. It can use an Amiga mouse, but the right button function won't work.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to posting some results when I'm done!


2 comments:

  1. have you managed to get a mouse? I've a couple of Amiga mice in the loft somewhere, I can whack one in the post for you. let me know

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered an Amiga mouse, but it doesn't work very well on the 64. I'm still on the lookout for the 1351. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete